Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How it all began...

Ange and me at her wedding day - having so much fun!

About a year and a half ago, my dear friend Ange told me she and Damien had set a date for their wedding. They had originally wanted a photographer but couldn't afford one who would capture the day the way they wanted and were choosing not to have one. I got really excited, but tried not to sound too hopeful when I said, "I really like taking photographs, would you let me be the photographer at your wedding?" When she said, "yes", I then kinda went "holy crapola, I have to get better!"

I started advertising my interest in taking family shots with friends and family so I could get better at having a camera in someone's space, but having them forget it and I was there. I took the WEA course on how to use a digital SLR with Tim (if you are looking to use your digital SLR properly on manual setting, I can't recommend this course highly enough!) and then started courses at the Centre for Creative Photography. I aim to get a diploma from CCP, but my time there is mostly to challenge me and to keep me around an engaged photographic society. I received a distinction and high distinction for my first two courses!

By the time Ange's wedding rolled around I had shot over ten family sessions and was feeling more and more comfortable behind the camera in set photo shoot situations. I had fallen in love with this profession. Each client brought a new location, new people, new weather, new light, and new experiences.



From the irreverent discovery to the loving embrace of a family's love, photography has given me an expanded view into the world and it's kindness and worth. These two pictures of the Barrow family capture this perfectly.

I have taken family shots, just kids, maternity (including belly painting), cake smash, couples, and two weddings. I have five more weddings booked between now and February. I am excited to capture the magic of birth. This has been one of the most challenging and exciting times in my life. I want to share the continuing journey here.


No comments:

Post a Comment